VERANG has extensive experience in migrating mainframe databases and data sets to modern environments. We have experience solely rehosting mainframe database as well as rehosting databases during full modernization of legacy systems. In our experience, only Oracle, DB2, and MSSQL provide sophisticated enough configurations for scaling and redundancy, and along with the Cloud are our target environment when rehosting a database.
Source Mainframe Database
Source Mainframe Databases Migrated Automatically
OS & TP Monitor Emulation
Target Mainframe Databases
DATA MIGRATION FRAMEWORK
VERANG’s proprietary set of internally developed applications and processes is called the “Data Migration Framework” (DMF). VERANG’s DMF embodies procedures, technical know-how and applications developed throughout the years of working on mainframe data migration projects.
The DMF platform allows for automation of many labor intensive steps in mainframe migration projects including:
- assessing and analyzing data sources to be migrated
- generating relational data model and DDL scripts for building relational databases
- converting unloaded files from source to target encoding
- generating programs for unloading data from the source environment
- creating loading scripts for populating relational target databases
- generating and deploying tools to support migrated data in relational target database
- validating the migrated data
DMF is configurable to meet the requirements of all common types of migration projects and environments. Being configurable, DMF allows for:
- easy customization for various source and target environments
- choice of preferred normal form for relational databases
- modifications dictated by performance issues in the migrated environment
- selection of several data loading strategies
- implementation of various data validation strategies
- risk reduction in handling and resolving of unforeseen situations encountered during the migration
VERANG’s automated migration methodology allows for repeated and fast conversion cycles that minimally involve human interaction and produce reliable and uniform results.
Migrating to the Cloud
VERANG can migrate to shown mainframes or to the cloud. When migrating to the cloud, VERANG uses partners specialized in FedRamp certified cloud service providers such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure to successfully migrate the legacy mainframe to a secure cloud service provider.
Since our migrated code operates in the “open source” environment, we have many opportunities for integration with other platforms. We are quite comfortable deploying across multiple O/S types e.g. some servers can be Windows and others Linux and the user would not notice. Our communication facilities that replace EntireX are fully interoperable over different platforms.
We provide mainframe compatible FTP client for batch and we can generate and consume EBCDIC or ASCII files in batch.
From our perspective, we do not see any difference between Windows or Linux deployment. Our utilities are available and compatible in both environments.
Scalability of Servers
In our experience only Oracle, DB2 and MSSQL provide sophisticated configurations for scaling and redundancy.
The migrated code is very scalable since one can add application or batch servers ad infinitum, limited only by the performance of the database which will always be the bottleneck. It is important that the database servers be given the right amount of resources.
Other operations are equally scalable by virtue of the ability to add cheap servers.